Monday, August 13, 2007

Sunday, August 12, 2007
A Morning to Remember:

I need to first of all explain that it doesn't rain a whole lot in Mazatlan but if it does (and rains hard) the streets do not drain well. Usually it rains during the night and the next morning there is a little water in the streets (mostly puddles). This particular morning it started raining around 5:00 a.m. I was sleeping and heard the rain but thought nothing of it. My alarm went off at 8:45 a.m. and I slowly woke up...the first thought that crossed my mind was..."I wonder what the church looks like." Almost every time it rains there is standing water in our church building. We have tried various times to repair the leaking problems, but there is not enough consistent rain to figure out all of the problems. So after the thought crossed my mind, I immediately called my Missionary and told him I would be right over to the church to check it out. The time was 9:00 a.m. and we had 2 hours before church started.

When I arrived at the street that our church is on I discovered that it was VERY flooded. In spite of the flooding, there were still many vehicles driving through it. I own a Nissan Tsuru that looks like a '94 Sentra. It sits very low to the ground. So needless to say I was nervous about driving in this amount of water. I started traveling down the road and became more nervous and concerned because the water was getting deeper and was flowing pretty heavy across the street. I also saw up ahead a truck, that is considerably larger than my car, stuck in that water and it had looked like it got swept away. I used my better judgement and decide to pull off on higher ground and call my missionary again. He has a Nissan Armada and he was in route to the church. He sees the area that I need to pass through and advices me to go back home and that he would come and pick me up. He tells me to stay in the middle of the road where the water is more shallow and to drive very slow. This whole time I am thinking..."a fine time to forget my camera!!!"

I make it back and park my car. Brian, my missionary, and I travel (in the bigger vehicle) to the church. Needless to say there was plenty of water in our church, but we managed to get it all dried up by service time.

It turns out that it was a highly attended service. While I was cleaning up the church I had decided to cancel Children's church because our sidewalk was basically a river and it was flooded in front of the main door of the building. But with the high attendance 7 children showed up this particular morning which was unusual because we had had 2-3 children all summer. Due to the amount of children there we found an alternate way into the building and had Ninos con Poder.

God works in mysterious ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Buckner Family said...

WOW! that sounds interesting! Glad to hear that you stopped your car. Your story made me smile.....thank you:)
Love ya,
Sarah